Way of the Writer
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
 
All words, no writing

Monday
No words down except for blog entries and e-mails. Finished another chapter in Huddle and Fool's Fate before going to sleep.

The Huddle chapter continues to throw unpleasant surprises. I've never read a book where the main character of the chapter (more discussion on that technique later) is constantly referred to as 'our hero'. Irritating. I was already thrown by the fourth point-of-view character in as many chapters. Would not be a prob if the characters were all distinct. Instead I get another beautiful, run-in-the-mill character delusionally dissatisfied with his relationship. Didn't I already read about him back in chapter two and three?

I've had to moderate myself with Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb. Just like the first Farseer book (Assassin's Apprentice), I don't want to stop turning the page. Plot continues to move as FitzChivalary prepares for his voyage to the Out Islands. I couldn't believe that Hobb could continue to deepen the character (the first trilogy of the series alone is over 2000 pages!) but I'm continually astounded by new tidbits. Every time I finish a chapter, I always think, "now this is a good book."

(By the by, Hobb's Farseer trilogy is the standard which I measure all my books.)

Comments:
Al,
Thanks for the commentary on Keyes. I've been looking at his books for some time. Are there any in particular that you recommend?

I read Martin's trilogy. Never struck a cord with me either as a reader or a writer.
 
Hey, my post today was about books too. Good to be reading, Joel!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger