Way of the Writer
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
 
Prepping up

I need to get to speed for NaNoWriMo. No prob with the ideas: I have at least eight. No prob with outlining, either. Six of the eight have good, chapter by chapter and/or scene by scene breakdowns. I can easily generate a new outline for a new idea given a day or weekend.

The main situ will be the wordcount. Participants will need to average 1250 words a day to make the 50,000 word goal. That's approximately five pages a day.

I won't be able to make such an average on a daily basis with my current schedule. I need to develop a schedule now so I'll be able to keep up on a weekly basis. That's 8750 words (35 pages) a week.

First order of business is to get writing. Second is to make such a weekly goal by the 30th (Saturday) of this month. Thus, I won't be in complete shock when I start on November 1st.

Obstacles (well, sorta)

As I stated above, I can't generate five pages a day due to other commitments. I do like to sleep, for example. Thus, I need to determine where are my available major blocks of time (two or more hours). Like a physician, I'm going to start by eliminating those days or blocks of time that I can't write:

Workout evening: When I'm attending a cardio class. Usually every other evening. I'm usually wiped when I get home.

Tuesday night with friends: When I meet CS and GAC. Hmmm. Should I eliminate seeing them at all during November (though see the 2nd, below)?

October 31st: Specifically, the evening hours when the rugrats are continuously ringing the doorbell. (Actually, I enjoy handing out the candies and stand outside the basket of goodies.)

November 2nd: meeting my friends for our monthly book discussion.

November 25th or 26th: During the time we're visiting family.

To be continued....


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger