Way of the Writer
Monday, October 25, 2004
 
***Weekend of writing***
Following on the heels of the Friday Word War over at Forward Motion, I spent Saturday afternoon and evening just writing. Specifically, I practiced timed writing exercises. Very interesting time, especially when both The Editor and The Muse suddenly made their presence known. I think I wrote four pages (over a thousand words) of dialogue between the three of us. NOTE: It's bad enough when you piss off one or the other, but never both at the same time. Neither one sulks quietly....

On Sunday, I attended the Stephen R. Donalson signing down in San Diego. I'll be honest, he's not the most scintillating speaker. A thin, white-haired, older gentleman, I noted he gestured a lot while speaking in an articulate, yet, rapid-fire manner. He was tired from the tour and I agreed.

But I wasn't there for the author per se, but more about his thoughts and his background. What I learned was:



Overall, I'm glad I attend the signing and can't wait to read Runes. But first, I'll have to reread the first two chronicles.

Comments:
So... The Editor realizes U provide far too much material to sift through... a tiring time (sigh), albeit entertaining. U want to be confusing? Upon sampling slices of the creative pie, it matters not if I personally enjoy the flavour and/or taste of one single inflamatory section. U are an artist of verbal explosion. I call it the mass hypnosis of Joe-ease. What bothers me: R U implying I might steal? No WAY - No WAY - No WAY. Noting a dozen words my tongue originally unleashed = hint in yo' direction, Twist. Timed writing = an obsessive compulsive discipline. The Muse thing: No foolin' memeself - I rate NOT - nada Muse material. Dr. Joe archives (95). Good rebuttals. In 30 seconds or less, we'll trudge outside with binoculars to view the lunar eclipse. My boy asks, "Will it upset the space aliens?" Me: "I don't really care to know. I'm recalling the ending to A Clockwork Orange...." He: "A Clockwork Orange???"
- "Who" Would U Like This Screen Identification 2 Be? -
 
I've got Donaldson's book ordered and am waiting impatiently. I'm jealous you got to hear him. We don't seem to get authors like that in my state.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger