Way of the Writer
Thursday, October 14, 2004
 
Obstacles (continued)
Days or blocks of time that I can't write:

Wednesday evenings: R.'s half day when we usually go out to eat and have quality "couple" time together. I'm amazed I didn't put this at the top of the list. (I know writers who put writing over their spouses and that's fine. For them: I'll consider doing the same when my writing generates at least our combined gross income for at least three years in a row (see Holly's wonderful article on quitting one's day job to write full-time) and R. acquieces to being second fiddle to words.)

Emergencies: Mom's medical conditions resurfaces. Dad suddenly develops something. R.'s family comes down with something. R. needs emotional comfort. My libido drops below seven days a week. Duh.

Sleep: Well, duh. I already whined about how not getting any (sleep, that is) impacts my writing already.


Still leaves lots of time blocks open. Next: Writing time.

Comments:
Hi Joel... I hate to inform you of this but the daily word count minimum for NaNoWriMo success is something more like 1667 words daily. That would take me about an hour and a half if I could concentrate and do it all at one time. My usual goal during NaNoWriMo is to write 2500 words daily, which would enable me to finish in 20 days and have 10 days left over for other things. In practice I really write nearly every day until it is done... I finish the first 50,000 words typically on the 17th. It is my experience that NaNoWriMo is easier than it sounds. I hope you too will find you've got more time for NaNoWriMo than you expect at this time.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger